Roll On Waterproofing
Roll on waterproofing products generally come as a ready to use as is elastomeric waterproofing membrane. The material is sold in sealed pails and is used to waterproof a wide range of surfaces. It will bond directly to a dry surface to create a waterproof membrane on both interior as well as exterior surfaces. It is especially effective in preventing cracks in floors that are the result of surface movement caused by moisture. It is applied as a liquid and cures to form a seamless, waterproof membrane over ceramic, cement, and many other stone, steel, PVC or concrete applications.
Benefits of Roll On Waterproofing
Roll on waterproofing has multiple advantages and benefits:
- When fully cured, roll on waterproofing forms an impermeable waterproof barrier over a wide range of materials and is readily adaptable to many applications in both residential as well as commercial projects.
- It is very easy to use and can be by anyone who is able to read the directions on the container. The roll on waterproofing material can usually be applied with a roll on paint applicator or with a trowel. Some types of roll on waterproofing can even be sprayed on with an airless paint sprayer.
- Roll on waterproofing comes in a ready to use form. There is no mixing or other preparation needed. It comes in a quick dry formula that shortens the cure time.
Characteristics and Application of Roll On Waterproofing
- For best results, it is recommended that two coats of roll on waterproofing be applied.
- Roll on waterproofing can be applied to cement backboard, mortar, masonry as well as exterior plywood.
- Roll on waterproofing is especially well suited for spas and pool areas as well as ceramic floor tiles.
- The primary consideration in surface preparation is that the surface that will be receiving the roll on waterproofing needs to be completely dry and clean.
- Roll on waterproofing is not designed for use as an adhesive and should not be applied over expansion joints in cement surfaces.
- Be sure that the surface that will be receiving the roll on waterproofing is free from all types of solvents that may degrade the material.
- Roll on waterproofing membranes are not recommended as a wear surface as the permeability of the surface will be impacted by heavy traffic.