Bituminous based waterproofing systems are often the material of choice for protecting both residential and commercial buildings. Bitumen is an asphalt or tar based compound that is very sticky, thick and waterproof when applied to a surface. Recent advancements in bituminous waterproofing technology have resulted through the addition of polyester or glass formulations that extend the life of a bituminous surface and increase its strength.
Benefits of Bituminous
Bituminous waterproofing systems offer a wide range of benefits including:
- Long life – many of our products come with guarantees and warranties when installed according to manufacturer’s recommendations. Bituminous waterproofed roofs have a long history of good performance and longetivity.
- Works well as a waterproof surface in all kinds of temperature and well as humidity ranges
- Adapts to a wide range of design requirements and finishes
- Easy to apply with a torch for heating the bitumen and trowels to be used for spreading the bitumen over the surface. While flat roofs used to require a professional team to waterproof, current technology and tools allow do it yourselfers to handle most bituminous roofing jobs.
- Economical, bituminous waterproofing systems are one of the cheapest methods of sealing low pitch roofs and other surfaces that will be exposed to moisture.
- Can be applied under pebbles, gravel and timber pavers
Characteristics and Application of Bituminous
Bituminous waterproofing systems are a flexible and tough sealant that can be used for many applications, including:
- Flat or low pitched roofs where standing water may be present for long periods of time.
- Can be used to control water seepage and erosion on terraces and other landscaping applications
- Bituminous waterproofing applied under a roof garden will allow plants to be watered and kept moist without damaging the structure underneath
- Courtyards and other outdoor structures where water seepage can cause damaging erosion under the cement or pavers.
- Basement walls and other below grade structures where water seepage is a problem
- It is important to have all of the materials ready to install on a bituminous roofing project as the entire process must be carried out continuously. Start with a checklist as a guide to the preinstallation and prep stage
- New, self-adhesive bituminous membranes have been developed that eliminate the need for heating the bituminous during the application process